An autopsy report released Thursday shows Prince died of an accidental, “self-administered” overdose. However, the report does not say whether the drug was injected, swallowed or delivered via a transdermal patch. No other drugs were mentioned in the report.
Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid only prescribed to those already taking opiates for severe pain. The drug is so potent – 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine – that it is measured in grains. The drug is fast acting and those who overdose die quickly.
Fentanyl is increasingly found mixed with heroin. The drug combination is being blamed for the spike in overdose deaths. Fentanyl was found in at least 20 percent of the 380 suspected overdose deaths in Palm Beach County last year.
Read more about the addiction epidemic in Palm Beach County in The Post’s investigative series Addiction Treatment: Inside the Gold Rush.